New Year's Resolution #1: Saying Yes

Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy New Year! 

To kick off blogging in 2015, I thought I would do a little Monday series on resolutions for the month of January. I know that making grand resolutions might be a typical blogger thing, but I haven't really made resolutions in the past for fear of letting myself down when I inevitably don't succeed. I know that sounds harsh and I hate that I never gave myself more credit before. However, 2014 really changed my perspective and my self-esteem. I accomplished a year of nursing school, I learned a ton at my summer job in a hospital, and I started this blog, just to name a few things that I didn't fail at. 2014 allowed a new confidence to blossom within me and taught me that failure is not always inevitable. I hadn't a single expectation for 2014, and I am surprised to have seen where I have been in the past year. I want to continue this path in 2015, but with expectations and goals so I can remain driven and focused. 
Along these lines, I want saying yes to be my first resolution shared. I have a bad tendency to shy away from new opportunities as I am worried about failing or even of what others might think of me. I don't know why this fear has always lived inside of me, but I think it is time for it to be squashed. I have realized that I don't like saying no all the time and I want to see/do more, and to do that, I need to say yes more. Now I am not planning on pulling a Jim Carrey in Yes Man by saying yes to every single thing that comes my way, but you get the picture.
Not only do I want to say yes to the opportunities that come my way, but I want to take it a step further and create those opportunities for myself. This is going to be a big year for me as I will graduate in December, and it will come with many massive life changes and transitions and I need to be well-prepared to handle those. I need to study hard and eventually job seek, while cherishing time with friends who I won't see all the time after graduation. I resolve to making more time to go on that coffee date with that friend and to enjoy the college time that I have left. I resolve to balance that time with preparing for the future and what ever it may bring to me.

I resolve to YES.

Are you making any resolutions this year? 


4 comments:

  1. I love this idea--I feel like I am very similar in terms of shying away from new things sometimes. And then once I try them 9 times out of 10 it's awesome.
    I saw another post about saying no being the new year's resolution for them! So fun to see everyone's take on their goals and what they're working on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People don't like the word resolution, because they often fail or get too over zealous. I saw a lot of people mention picking a word for the new Year and I love that. Saying YES is a great new goal to have, rock it out lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made a few resolutions for 2015. But my main aim is to be better than I was before. It's such a basic rule. But I got into college this year and things pretty much changed for me so I decided to focus on becoming a better version of my self.
    Say YES to every new opportunity. You never know what it may bring.

    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying YES is such an awesome resolution and one that I am definitely working on in my life as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs