Everything Oscars 2016!

Monday, February 29, 2016

Happy Monday! I know its been a while, but I thought I was hop back into blogging with a post I have been looking forward to writing for SO long. The Oscars is my favorite award show and I look forward to it every year. I love the discussion of movies for the few weeks that leads up to the show and then the glitz and glamour the day of the show. It would be my dream to have my hair and makeup done, and get into a gorgeous gown to walk down that carpet. Although knowing me, I would definitely stumble and fall...but at least I would have something in common with Jennifer Lawrence. Since being away and work has consumed my life lately (not complaining, just busy!), I wasn't able to get around to watching three out of the eight movies nominated for best picture (Spotlight, Room, and Bridge of Spies). Aside from that, I am super excited to talk about my favorite and not so favorite moments of the show and, of course, the dresses!



Best Dressed



// Jennifer Garner looks like royalty in her gown. Seriously a force to be reckoned with (especially after her latest interview with Vanity Fair!)
// Naomi Watts' style never fails to disappoint. I thought this was such a fun choice for her!
(Also no matter how many times I switch the code around, I cannot get the top right picture to not be spaced away so I am just going to accept that my blog has a mind of its own)
// With Brie Larson being the front runner (and eventual winner!) for Best Actress, I figure her gown would be a good one! It did not disappoint. Especially loved the combo of the fuchsia lip with the blue dress.
// My favorite would definitely have to be Saoirse Ronan's slinky green gown. Also I loved how casually she wore her hair...seems to be gorgeously windblown!

Not So Best Dressed:


// Come on Kate Winslet! She is usually so on point with her style but I felt like this was an odd choice. It was just so boring!
// I was super curious to see what what Lady Gaga would present to the red carpet wearing and I was just plain confused when I saw what it was. I like the structure of the top, but felt like there was just too much going on with the bottom half. I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion, but I was in love with her Emmy 2015 look, so I guess I was expecting something totally different last night.

Favorite Moments:

~ Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe's presenting bit for Best Adapted Screenplay. Did anyone see them being interviewed during the pre-show by Michael Strahan? He did not know how to handle them!
~ Jenny Beavan's (Mad Max's costume designer) outfit...she had a big sequin skull on the back of her jacket! I am guessing it was representative of Mad Max, but I just thought it was too funny and so bold.
~ Tina Fey and Steve Carrell presenting together...would love to see them host together!
~ Mad Max: Fury Road winning so many awards. Like I said in my post mentioning it a few weeks ago, it was such a cool/arty film to watch. So much better than I had anticipated!
~ I loved the segment with Andy Serkis and visual effects... I didn't realized that movies with characters like apes and other creatures were made using actual actors and their facial movements.
~ R2-D2, C3PO and BB8 all appearing on stage together!
~ The acceptance speech from the writers of Inside Out, "You can make stuff. Make films. Draw. Write. It will make a world of a difference!"
~ Lady Gaga's performance...her voice is incredible.
~ Alejandro Iñárritu ignoring the musical shoo off the stage.
~ Jacob Tremblay's excitement after Brie Larson won Best Actress...he is so stinkin' cute!
~ I feel obliged to put Leo winning Best Actor. Not that I think he doesn't deserve an award for all he has contributed to in Hollywood, but I just was so not wowed by his performance in The Revenant. There's a scene where was he is dragging himself along in agony, and I know this was suppose to be a major acting moment for him...but I was just thinking "haven't we seen this before in Wolf of Wall Street?!" I really thought he should have won two years ago for WOWS, but competition was so stiff that year with 12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, and Gravity. Oh well.

Not So Favorite Moments:

~ That damn instrumental music that chases people off the stage. I cringe watching winners look so sad as the are shooed through their acceptance speeches. Just let them thank who they please!
~ The "(fill in winner here) would like to thank" banner going across the bottom of the screen (seems dumb IMO).
~ Sarah Silverman's bit was just a bit painful for me. I know its part of her whole brand to be awkward but it just didn't translate well last night.
~ I think everyone was confused when Stacey Dash came on stage...I had to look up the explanation behind that.
~ Eh, not a big fan of the minions presenting...
~ Tom Hardy not winning for Best Supporting Actor in The Revenant. His character had so much depth and I was really captivated by his performance!

Best Picture: Spotlight
Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant)
Best Actress: Brie Larson (Room)
Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance (Bridge of Spies)
Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vykander (The Danish Girl)
Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu (The Revenant)

Overall I felt like this year's Oscars was kind of boring. Yes Leo finally won, but I am totally counting this as a "career" Oscar for him...not so much one for The Revenant specifically. I was happy that Spotlight won (even though I hadn't seen it) but with a cast like that, how could it not be a winner? After seeing so many clips of the movies throughout the show, I still think I will watch Spotlight and Room, but don't think Bridge of Spies is really high on my list to watch. Also, The Danish Girl and Carol are two that I am putting on my list. As far as hosting goes, I think Chris Rock did a great job and I am curious to see the reviews of his performance today. There was so much controversy about the show this year, and I think he was able to acknowledge it well. Hopefully there will be changes in the future to how movies are cast and thus leading to more diverse nominees.

What did you think of the Oscars this year? I would love to know your opinions!



17 comments:

  1. Yay, so happy to see you posted, I've been miss your pretty face!

    I did not watch the Oscars but followed along on twitter for a bit and agree Jennifer Garner looked amazing, totally the best revenge right?

    Did you hear the rumor that Kate Winslet might be pregnant? That might explain the black and bunch of fabric. Guess we will find out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the banner going across the bottom...I can understand if that's where the winner's Thank yous were supposed to go but it seemed the winners were thanking everyone anyway?!? I just loved Brie Larson & Saoirse Ronan's gowns!! They were beautiful! Oh and yes I agree with the Sarah Silverman bit...oddly placed. =P

    Have a great week! Melanie | Blog: Toots + Dill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree didn't like the banner across the bottom of the screen thanking people at all! I loved Brie Larsons dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved that mad max won so many things because yay australia! lol. i agree with Saoirse, she looked amazing. i was so disappointed in kate winslet's dress... it was not cute. i knew andy serkis played gollum but i didn't know he did the ape as well, very interesting to watch. sarah silverman was awkward and i was so confused about stacey dash that i had to google it as well haha. i normally don't watch award shows but i really wanted to watch last night for Leo.. though i agree. i haven't seen that movie but it doesn't look like my cup of tea. that being said, i think he should have won years ago, like for gilbert grape or the aviator. i really do think he is an amazing actor. and i like that they didn't shoo him off the stage with music, i think the internet would have gone nuts if they did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer Garner's dress was stunning!

    Mary Kate
    www.mynewchicagolife.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't get to watch the oscars this year, but i always like to see the gorgeous gowns. And yes, it would be great to dress up in one of them for the evening! x

    Nazira | Love Hijab Girl | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you said "not so best dressed" that's putting it nicely LOL! Everyone is still confused by stacy Dash lol - I just don't get it at ALL! I missed lady gaga - fell asleep but I watched after and it was amazing! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. JLaws dress was stunning!! I was watching some of the show on TV last night but still need to watch the rest when I have a spare moment :) great post x

    Jenny | Krystel Couture

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just so happy for Leo's win. Long overdue and well-deserved.
    I've heard that the rating was low though. Hope next year will be more epic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree -- Kate Winslet's dress had me confused at best. Usually she picks such stunning gowns.

    Xoxo,

    Ashley || Sed Bona

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally with you on counting it as an overall career oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love Jennifer Garner's dress !
    www.ambiinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. cryptocurrency prices , cryptocurrencies, bitcoin, market cap, btc price, crypto market, crypto exchange, crypto news, ethereum, litecoin, dogecoin, xrp

    ReplyDelete

  14. I appreciate your work you are working hard. I have bookmark your website. I will visit your website again soon. Thanks for writing such articles and sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vezi Online ultimele seriale turcesti pe Kanal D. Afla ultimele informatii despre cele mai indragite seriale latimp de la KanalD.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs